Press Release / 15 January 2013
CSC announces new consumer brand and new online shopping portal
With 320 million customer visits and over 30 million unique visitors a year, we are the UK's leading specialist shopping centre owner, developer and manager. This scale and specialism gives us a unique insight into today's consumer and what they are looking for from their shopping experience.
CSC has the physical scale to establish a strong national brand to integrate the online and shopping centre retail experience. Today we are announcing a £25 million investment to create a nationwide consumer-facing shopping centre brand, intu, and a transformed digital proposition.
Creation of a single brand, intu, to be incorporated into the names of the company and our directly-managed centres
- providing a compelling national proposition for retailers and other commercial partners
- supported by a "World Class Service" approach from our 1,800 staff
- refreshing changes to our centres' physical environments
Integration of the physical and digital environments to provide a seamless multi-channel experience for our visitors through
- installation of a new fibre optic network for every centre
- provision of high quality free WiFi throughout the malls
- the launch of intu.co.uk, a transactional, fashion-focused, mobile-enabled website
Overall investment of £25 million, comprising £7 million on brand creation and roll out, £8 million on digital infrastructure and £10 million on the acquisition and start-up phase of intu.co.uk
- For visitors: improved customer experience, including additional digital services
- For retailers: higher spend both in-store and online from enhanced footfall, dwell time and customer service. Effectiveness of centre-by-centre marketing spend much improved as the unified brand reduces duplication. National awareness and marketing opportunities increased
- For our people: a more dynamic, creative and engaging culture, focused on customer experience and supporting innovation and personal development
- For our investors: driving income through enhanced propositions to consumers and retailers, consumer spending on new value-added services and new revenue sources such as national commercial partnerships, digital commissions and advertising
- On 18 February 2013 CSC will change its name to intu properties plc
- In March Trafford Centre will launch free WiFi, followed by Lakeside in April, Eldon Square, Newcastle, in May and all centres by February 2014.
- From March to June all our 1,800 staff will attend training in World Class Service
- Our new eCommerce site, will be launched in spring
- From May 2013, the intu brand and visual identity will be rolled out across our centres in the form of physical signage, enhanced customer service desk facilities and national consumer activity commencing with a major launch event
David Fischel, Chief Executive, commented:
"With over half the UK population visiting our shopping centres each year, we have the scale to seize the opportunities provided by the changes in the retail marketplace. We are investing £25 million in digital infrastructure, an eCommerce website and a new brand. We very much look forward to implementing the initiatives announced today, which mark an exciting next phase in the evolution of our market-leading UK shopping centre business, to the benefit of customers, retailers, staff and investors."